Friday, February 15, 2013

What is in MY makeup bag?


Image Credit: www.realbeauty.com 
I am sort of a sucker. No, I am too nice. My parents did a fabulous job at raising me, and teaching me to be kind, but I think it really hit home for me when I began to work as a server (wait tables) when I was 16. I did this off and on for 5 years and I think servers have one of the hardest jobs in the world. It was a good experience at cultivating who I am today, and how I also treat others. These two reasons are why I have the inability to avoid eye contact with all of those sales women in department stores. I always get conned into sitting in someone’s chair and listening to their sales pitch at how AMAZING, FANTASTIC, and AGE-DEFYING their products are.  However, it IS entertaining to me, because they never bother to ask me what I do for a living, nor do they think that I might have a background in skin care. Here enters: sweet department store sales woman who was poorly educated on the science behind skin care.

I sat in her chair. I listened to her pitch. I asked her questions. I wanted to know what she had been taught by this HUGE company that boasts to be an industry leader in skin care and makeup.  She sounded like a t.v commercial, and coincidentally, a lot of her information was as incorrect as the commercials I have seen. What bothered me is that this bad information is being recycled over and over because this woman’s job was to sell, not to teach. Once upon a time, I also was one of those women. I worked for a large makeup company that specialized in their field, and I had to listen to managers go on and on about people not meeting their numbers, because their intent was to SELL, not teach.

As a stylist, I tend to get asked the same questions over and over.  It highlights the overwhelming fact that people are always searching for the answers to their beauty questions. We are told a thousand different things by a thousand different sources: magazines, television, friends, stylists, your best friend’s cousin’s friend’s sister’s baby daddy’s aunt, and yes, sales department store associates.  It is never ending, all claiming to be the ‘authority’ on whatever your topic under question is. Let’s be real: IT. IS. ANNOYING. So, here is my disclaimer: I am NOT an authority on ALL things hair and makeup. I will never be 100% sold on a single product, because my life and beauty care needs are always changing. What I am is a consumer with an educational background to understand the products that I am using and therefore I can claim that THIS is my specialty. I have spent years in school, taking classes, studying it, researching it, speaking with product chemists, and using it. This is my specialty, and so in a court of law, I get to be called as an ‘expert witness!’

One of my favorite things to teach is product knowledge. I taught this class in my salon. I taught my clients how to use what they purchased. I taught random strangers who seemed stuck when buying things. I love it. My favorite class yet, was with an amazing group of women who brought in their makeup bag. I taught them how to use what they already had. This presented another question in class “Cayla: what is in YOUR makeup bag?” So here it is, my FAVORITE go to products that are in my makeup bag all the time.

1.Foundation : Rimmel. I discovered it when I was desperate on a set. The actor I was working on also worked on ‘The Walking Dead,’ and had been shooting all week outside. I.E: SUNBURN. I needed to cover her red and peeling skin and it not show up on camera- so I layered. And layered. And LAYERED. It did the trick, and that meant it also did the trick for my “welcome to the teenage years” random breakouts.



2. Powder: I waiver depending on necessity. For a heavier coverage, I use Benefit’s “Hello Flawless,” otherwise I stick with my favorite with is Aveda’s loose translucent powder.






3. Cream Blush: I prefer a dewy blush finish to an overly powdered effect. I use N.Y.C Blushable Crème Stick.








4. Bronzer: My favorite was featured in my blog last summer:  E.L.F Golden Bronzer. One side has the darker colors for contouring if you want, and the other side has highlighting colors.  





5. Eyeliner: I have 2. My liquid choice (perfect for my favorite cat eye) is Loreal Lineur Intense in Black Mica. My pencil choice is N.Y.C  in Dark Brown.








6. Primer: Benefit’s Stay Don’t Stray, which I use only on my eyes on the days I play to wear eye shadow. It’s a miracle worker.







7. Eyelash Curler: Shu Uemura; If I can’t find it, I use N.Y.C.








8. Mascara: I always go back and forth on Mascara, there are a lot of great options, and an entire entry dedicated to it on my blog, but I always come back to Maybelline’s ‘The Falsies: Volum Express.’





9. Chapstick. Any brand works, I prefer one that has a bit of a gloss so if I don’t want to put anything else on my lips, it works. I like the Carmex Chapsticks. I also love Soft Lips.

10. and 11. Two things that rotate in and out of my makeup bag are eye shadow and lipstick, all depending on my mood. I may have a hot pick lip stick in my bag one week, and nude the next. Because my primer is AMAZING, I can get away with less expensive eye shadows, so this week it happens to be Nuance by Selma Hayek, last week it was E.L.F.

How about you? What are YOUR go-to products? Are there things you are using, but aren’t sure how to? Send me your questions! As always, you can e-mail me : Cayladoeshair  (at) Hotmail.com , message me on Facebook. Comment here!
If you haven’t yet, sign up to follow my blog! I am doing a giveaway of all my favorite products, chosen only from my followers!


No comments:

Post a Comment