Friday, July 13, 2012

My review of Pantene Pro-V



I committed a hair sin. I have spent 10 years in the hair industry listening and thus teaching my clients three very important words: “Never use Pantene.”  There is loads of information about what it does to your hair, but I thought, “Hey, let me try this out.” So, for 30 days the only shampoo and conditioner that touched my head was Pantene Pro-V.
What I noticed immediately was that wonderful smell! I remembered that smell from childhood. When I was growing up, Pantene Pro-V was the “expensive” shampoo. It lathers well, and leaves my hair feeling silky smooth… while it is still wet. In the first two weeks, I felt as if I had been fooled. Was it possible that I had taught a vicious lie to my clients for years? Was it possible that Pantene Pro-V could actually transform my hair into all of the spokeswomen and models’ hair, I saw in the commercials? Hey, Stacy London from What Not to Wear uses it, right? At least she SAYS she does…

Unbeknownst to me at the time, my hair was slowly unraveling. At the end of week 2, I had developed a layer of “scabs” if you will, across my scalp! I had huge pieces (I know, sick, but at least I’m honest) of my scalp peeling off, and wearing ANY dark colors became a thing of the past.  My blonde highlights became brassy (orangey-yellow tinted); the ends of my hair began to feel dry, and by the end of week 3, I was seriously jonesing for my normal shampoo. However, I continued to use Pantene to give it a fair chance.

 At the end of this “experiment,” my naturally curly hair was breaking around my face.  I had so many split ends that I had to GIVE myself a haircut, which by the way, is a huge no-no in the hair world, even if you ARE trained to do hair. I had to redo my color, and give myself professional conditioning treatments for 2 weeks to even get my hair CLOSE to the way it felt prior to my Pantene stint. Consensus? DON’T DO IT! It is like hair suicide. At least I can now feel confident that my education was correct, Pantene Pro-V is seriously bad for your hair.

3 comments:

  1. I have never used Pantee Pro-Vee but what do you recommend for a shampoo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katillia!
    I always have a variety of shampoos to use. I have 1 salon quality, 1 mid-grade, and 1 junk one to strip my hair of product.

    My salon go-to is always Redken, because I am a Redken colorist. Currently I use Blonde Glam- its $14 a bottle- please only purchase from a salon. I will write a blog about that later.

    I also am testing a shampoo requested by another reader- the Aveeno Naturals line. I'm still deciding on that one, but I will say after using it for 3 weeks, it has not damaged my hair, which is a plus!

    Last, my "junk" shampoo tends to be Suave Coconut Shampoo, because, first I ADORE the scent, second, it's cheap and efficiently strips my hair, and third- it reminds me of the time I spent in Honduras- so there you go!

    I hope that helps. Do you have any shampoos you'd like me to try? I'm always game, so give me suggestions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the above thought and I am glad to be the part of it.Thanks for sharing it!!
    pantene pro v shampoo

    ReplyDelete